Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Belief

As a practicing Roman Catholic, I am troubled by the public comments by politicians--some of whom profess to believe in the same faith as I do.  The teachings of the Church do not represent a smorgasbord that can be sampled to fit your feelings; it is, rather, an integrated core that can help us in our journey. 

Part of this is the sanctity of life.  As I understand that concept, aided by a number of theologians,this is not limited to the unborn but includes those who commit heinous crimes.  The Church also recognizes exceptional circumstances.  At the end of world war two, as the Russian army was entering Germany, Catholic bishops granted absolution to those women who had abortions after multiple rapes.  This does not condone abortion but does recognize that sometimes exceptional circumstances require exceptional measures..  An abortion simply as a measure for gender-selection would not qualify,  Further, to require--bylaw--that I must not express my belief but must grant unlimited abortion rights is wrong. 

It is also incumbent on me as a practicing Catholic to recognize Christ in everyone I encounter.  Models here include Dorothy Day and Mother Theresa.  This requires me to not marginalize those less fortunate.  I have an active requirement to perform direct and indirect acts to assist others.  Direct acts can be volunteering or donations to programs that act directly.  Indirect acts include holding elected officials responsible to developing and carrying out programs that can reach larger audiences that I could by myself.  The safety net is essential and we need to properly fund it and to ensure that it functions as well as it possible can.

My problem this election season is that I do not see a candidate who addresses all of the needs and concerns that I see.  Further, in an age of polarization, I do not see either party interested in working in a bipartisan fashion to most effectively help those who need our help.  Those most in need include both stone cold murderers as well as the unborn.  Working single mothers, those with mental illness, those struggling with addiction; we are called to see Christ is each and to act towards them as we would to the actual presence of Jesus.  Anything else is a failure on our part.  Both parties in this election have ideas but they are incomplete.  Neither party seems willing to recognize value in suggestions from the other party.  And, there is no attempt to fix known problems, rather, it's always the other party's fault.

I can and must continue to help everyone I meet as best as I am able.  I will vote, after long prayer and thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment